A challenging opportunity for a highly qualified expert in semiconductor process technology to enhance customer satisfaction and influence new product development.
As a senior Application Engineer in the Customer Support (CS) Applications department you’ll be one of the key experts in the application team supporting two major consultancy roles. Firstly, in conjunction with input from our Development and Engineering (D&E) department, you’ll take responsibility to support and coach application engineers from your team as well as from regional teams for determining solutions to customer-related lithography problems that have escalated beyond the technical capabilities of our on-site customer support engineers.
With your expertise you are able to lead and steer related task force teams, driving to issue resolution effectively and efficiently. Secondly, you’ll be the main representative for new product introductions, ensuring delivery of application and customer specific requirements, including educating on-site service/support engineers about our new products.
Leveraging your powers of investigation and analytical skills, your experience in a manufacturing environment and your network of contacts within the company, and driven by the determination to never give up, you’ll lead and coach a small team of engineers and provide the consultancy services needed to fine tune the equipment and the process in order to resolve yield issues. Apart from the technical focus, you also help developing more junior engineers by motivating and inspiring them in skilling up.
You’ll provide a similar level of consultancy during the new product introduction process, visiting customers after new systems are fully installed to optimally fit them into the customer’s production process and fine-tuning them for optimum performance. You are one of the key interfaces being able to oversee multiple competences supporting customer’s node transition from research into volume. A highly skilled communicator, you’ll also be responsible for training the local organization so that our on-site engineers can provide ongoing customer support. In particular, the forthcoming introduction of next-generation lithography equipment will pose a significant challenge and learning curve. You typically interact to various levels outside the team, such as local office application managers, product development managers and system engineers within D&E, and project leaders in Business Line Applications responsible for customer on-product performance projects.
In addition to responsibilities detailed above, we also expect:
- Running performance improvement projects in a complex environment with medium to high level business impact in cooperation with customers and translating the results into improvement specifications for our development department;
- Contributing your expertise on customer technology requirements to new development projects;
- Generating supplemental and improved working methods, and lead and drive towards solutions for structural issues found.
PhD in Physics, Optics, Electronics, Micro-electronics, Chemical Engineering or IC manufacturing.
- A minimum of -7 years’ experience in an IC manufacturing environment with a strong emphasis on lithography and the application of imaging and overlay solutions in semiconductor production processes;
- Experience in a university research group or research institute working on semiconductor manufacturing technology, preferably with experience in supporting readiness of a next technology node for high volume manufacturing;
- Experience in guiding and coaching;
- Experience in stakeholder management and building client relations.
- Proven track record in bringing projects to successful conclusions;
- Excellent investigative and analytical skills;
- Strong focus on customer intimacy and ability to manage customer relationships;
- The ability to organize, initiate and drive, and influence based on inspiration, motivation and expertise;
- Can manage projects on both detailed technical and high level abstraction level;
- Excellent multi-cultural communication skills plus adequacy in the English language (spoken and written).
Context of the position
The Customer Support Engineering sector ensures that our customers are supported efficiently by providing knowledge/technical services to on-site personnel in countries such as Japan, Korea, Taiwan and USA and undertaking specialist engineering work at customer sites. Within the CSE sector, the Application & Business Support (ABS) department supports the effective use of our machines and options in the customer’s production process, supporting customers to meet their current and future on-product performance requirements.
As a Sr. Application Engineer in Customer Support Applications department, you report directly to one of the department’s group leaders